The Northern Cricket Union Women’s squad has travelled to England for their first ever tour, taking on their counterparts from Cornwall, in the Newquay area from (today) Wednesday 21st to Saturday 24th August. This tour has been made possible due to increased links between the NCU and Cornwall Cricket Board over the past four years.
Uel Graham, NCU Cricket Operations Manager, explains ‘the relationship started when the NCU Under 14’s went to the West Cricket Festival at Kings College, Taunton, for the first time in 2016. This festival was managed by Malcolm Broad, who is heavily involved in Cornish Cricket. Cornwall Boys Under 16’s have been to the NCU Belfast for two years now and Andrew Jones, their manager, introduced key people in Cornish Womens cricket to me and we took it from there’.
- Wednesday 21st: at 1600 – (T20) versus Cornwall at Grampound Road Cricket Club
- Thursday 22nd: at 1100 – versus Cornwall at Ladock Cricket Club
- Friday 23rd: at 1100 – versus Cornwall at Truro Cricket Club
The squad will be accompanied by Tim Simmonite, Women’s Lead Coach and Simon Johnston, Senior Knights Coach and NCU Pathway Manager.
- Amy Benson (North Down)
- Alison Cowan (CSNI)
- Amy Caulfield (Muckamore)
- Nikhita Gondhia (CSNI)
- Becky Hall (Muckamore)
- Susi Keates (Muckamore)
- Abbi Leckey (CSNI)
- Charlotte Lyons (Waringstown)
- Molly Mathers (Donacloney Mill)
- Naomi Matthews (Waringstown)
- Staci Maxwell (North Down)
- Beth McCrea (Templepatrick)
- Nikki Niblock (Muckamore)
Tim Simmonite, commenting on the tour, said, ‘we are really looking forward to the Cornwall trip. After a successful summer programme, so far, the matches on the tour will provide a fresh set of challenges which the squad have worked hard to prepare for. I’d like to thank the NCU and Cornwall Cricket for creating the opportunity for us in what will no doubt be an interesting few days’.