Day 7 report from the NCU Development tour to South Africa
At Western Province CC, Avenue de Mist, the NCU Northern Knights Under 15s defended a total of 241, the highlight of which was an 86 run stand between John Glass (69) and today’s captain Harry Warke (40). Some wayward bowling by the opposition aided the cause and the Knights were confident that they had a defendable score.
In reply the opposition looked confident scoring freely on a fast running outfield and themselves aided by a generous supply of extras. It was an onslaught by Nicky (61) who dominated an opening stand of 65 where his partner contributed only 8.
Photo right shows John Glass (Ballymena CC) being congratulated as he leaves the field after scoring 69 runs (© Ian Johnston).
At 108-1 after 20 overs it was definitely ‘match on’ but as they have on other days the spinners, Glass (8 overs 1-35) and Shannon (8 overs 2-27) who slowed things down. Needing 78 off the last 10 overs was a tough ask but not an impossible one in the conditions.
Johnny Browne bowled an excellent last 4 overs of his spell conceding only 15 runs with the batsmen seeking to find the boundary and in the end they fell 32 runs short with the final wicket falling to the 3rd ball of the final over.
At Western Province CC, Avenue de Mist.
NCU Northern Knights U18s 241-5 (40 overs) J Glass 69, H Warke 40, D Osman 2-46.
WPCA Spartans 209-9 (39.3 overs) Nickey 61, C Shannon 2-27.
NCU Northern Knights beat WPCA Spartans by 32 runs.
Aaron Wright reports in note form on the NCU Northern Knights’ Under 18 game against Western Province Cricket Academy at the Vineyard Oval.
- NCU bat first in a 40 over game.
- Early wicket – Sam Gordon out for 4.
- 100 partnership between John Matchett and Paddy Beverland, both scoring 50’s.
- 6 wickets then fell for 40 runs.
- James McClean (13) and Stuart Nelson (16) put on 25 runs for the ninth wicket.
- NCU 185 all out (37 overs) J Matchett 51, P Beverland 52.
- Sinton & Nelson opened the bowling – Sinton with 2 early wickets.
- At Drinks WP were 85-5 with Sam Wilson taking 2 wickets and Jack Burton 1 wicket.
- NCU put the squeeze on after drinks with spinners Topping, Magowan and Irvine bowling tight spells – Irvine with 2 wickets.
- Nelson and Sinton bowled tight spells at the death resulting in a 13 run victory with Sinton picking up his 3rd wicket and Nelson his 1st.
- WPCA Academy 172-10 (39.3 overs) Sipho 31, Naanzi 30, R Sinton 3-19.
Result: At the Vineyard Oval – NCU Northern Knights Under 18s beat WPCA Academy by 13 runs.